There are many great reasons to consider downsizing your real estate. Moving into a smaller home can offer tremendous benefits and value to individuals, couples and families. This is often especially true for seniors near or in retirement.
Here are a few benefits to downsizing within or to the Fraser Valley real estate market.
- Lower expenses – less utility costs on heating and cooling, lower property taxes, lower insurance premiums etc.
- Less time needed for maintenance and upkeep – spend more time doing the things you love and enjoy and devote less time to the house and yard
- Lock and leave – if you enjoy travelling, then it’s generally easier and more secure to lock and leave a condo than a vacant single-family detached house
- Reduced or no mortgage – less expensive properties require smaller mortgage amounts and therefore smaller payments. Even better, it’s possible for some people to become mortgage and debt-free when they downsize to smaller real estate.
- Having less stuff – having a smaller living area means you need fewer furnishings and décor. You can save a great deal of money in this way. And your life will be simpler and more stream-lined when you aren’t trying to simply fill empty spaces with items that have no practical function.
- Lowering your carbon footprint – with reduced heating and cooling requirements, you use less energy which usually means using less carbon. You are doing the environment good in this way.
- Have the outside space taken care of by common area maintenance charges – by moving to a condo apartment or townhouse, the grounds outside can be maintained by a third party contractor. This will save you your time, energy and physical effort.
- Many condo buildings and townhouse complexes are in and around city centres. This often gives you quick and easy access to everyday amenities like medical offices, pharmacies, grocery stores, recreation centres, libraries etc. This may allow you to eliminate owning one or all of your vehicles. Indeed, you may be able to be in walking distance to most or all of your everyday essential shops, services and recreation.
- Cozier confines – a smaller home can make it feel much cozier and enhance family bonding and relationships. A more communal shared space can bring parents, children and siblings closer together. It can teach compromise and patience, if done right.
- Less is more – there is an intangible and invaluable benefit around the peace of mind that comes with having less stress around mortgage debt, maintenance, upkeep and too much space to be responsible for.
There are many great options to downsize into a smaller and more comfortable house, townhouse or condo in the Fraser Valley. Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford offer a range of great housing options to downsize into. Indeed, one could potentially move even further East into Chilliwack or Harrison Hot Springs to save even more money and enjoy a quieter lifestyle.
Contact me today to discuss your downsizing needs in the Fraser Valley. I can help you to sell your existing home if you need to and/or help you purchase your next house, townhouse or condo.